Brown Garbage Cart
The City of St. Albert uses a Pay As You Throw (PAYT) garbage system. The PAYT program allows residents to choose the size of their Brown Garbage Cart based on usage, and the size of each cart has a corresponding fee associated with it.
What Goes in the Brown Garbage Cart?
Download the "What Goes Where?" Quick Sorting List or search for specific items using the tool below.
Curbside Collection Guidelines
Frequency of Collection
Your Brown Garbage Cart is collected once every two weeks on your household's designated waste collection day.
Please refer to the Collection Schedule for specific details.
Tips for Collection
- Please place your Brown Garbage Cart out for collection by 7:00 a.m. on your household's waste collection day. Place the cart facing forward into the center of the street, as indicated by the arrows on the lid.
- Please ensure the cart lid is fully closed. This helps prevent litter from spilling on the street.
- For the safety of our staff and equipment, please ensure the cart weighs no more than 200 lbs (90 kg). Brown Garbage Carts are not for renovations or landscaping projects. Carts may be tagged and rejected if the materials are too heavy. If large quantities of waste disposal is required, please visit a City of Edmonton Waste Facility.
- Avoid stuffing or cramming material into the cart, as this can cause materials to become stuck.
- Please place the Brown Garbage Cart a minimum of one metre (three feet) away from any obstacles, in order to ensure safe collection. Generally, an arms-length is a good distance marker.
Cart Sizes and Monthly Rates
|Size||Capacity (L)||Capacity (Bags)*||Rate (/month)|
* Based on a standard 76 cm x 86 cm or 30" x 34" garbage bag
More information on the utility rates (flat fee, recycling, organics, etc.) can be found in the Account & Rates section.
Cart Repair and Replacements
To request a change in size, repair or replacement, please contact the City of St. Albert’s Utilities Services at 780-459-1520, Option 2, or complete the online request form: Change, Repair or Replace Carts.
Move In Move Out Procedures
The Brown Garbage and Green Organics Carts are assigned to the household and cannot be removed or taken when moving. If the carts are removed, the former home owner could be responsible to reimburse the City for the cost of the replacement carts. Please leave the carts for the new occupants.
If the carts at your new house are not your desired size, you can request to change the cart sizes here.
Resources for Extra Garbage
Extra Garbage tags
If you have additional garbage above your subscription level, you can purchase "Extra Garbage" tags from Servus Place, Fountain Park Recreation Centre, or St. Albert Place during business hours. These tags cost $2.25 each and can be placed on garbage bags and dropped off at the Mike Mitchell Recycling Depot. Please note that tags cannot be purchased on site. Tags with an expiry date are not accepted.
Please note: garbage bags can weigh a maximum of 50 pounds and can be a maximum size of 76 centimetres by 86 centimetres (30 inches by 34 inches). No large items, construction, or demolition materials accepted.
Additional Garbage Cart
The City of St. Albert encourages residents to make use of the curbside organics and recycling programs to divert as much waste as possible; however, households can request an additional Brown Garbage Cart if the largest sized cart (240 L) is insufficient.
There is a $50.00 administration fee for this request, as well as an additional charge of $10.09 per month on the utility bill. Please contact Utilities Services for more information.
Home Health Care Waste Exemption
The City of St. Albert supplies an additional Large (240 L) Brown Garbage Cart at no cost for residents with home health care needs. Households must be subscribed to a Large (240 L) Brown Garbage Cart to qualify for this program. Acceptable items include empty or sealed colostomy bags, incontinence pads and products, and intravenous bags and tubing. Hazardous waste, such as sharps and medication, is not acceptable.
If you qualify for the Home Health Care Waste Exemption Program, please complete the following application form and email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit in person to Utilities Services. For more information, please contact Utilities Services at 780-459-1520 (Option # 2).
The City of St. Albert currently holds events such as Curbside Large Item Pick Up and Large Item Drop-Off, which accepts residents' large items that will not fit inside the Brown Garbage Cart. For more information about the large item events check our Seasonal Waste Programs.
The City of Edmonton's Eco Stations and Edmonton Waste Management Centre also accepts residential waste for disposal. For more information about acceptable items and fees, please visit the City of Edmonton's Waste Drop-off Facilities page.
Last edited: July 19, 2021