St. Albert Celebrates June is Recreation and Parks Month
June 01 - June 30, 2019
get active and play outdoors with family, friends and neighbours!
June is Recreation and Parks Month (JRPM) is a nationwide celebration that educates people on the health benefits of recreation and engages them in physical activity. We’re fortunate to have an abundance of indoor and outdoor recreation opportunities in St. Albert. Getting out and playing contributes to mental health, physical wellbeing, community pride, development in children and so much more! Join the JRPM movement and be a part of creating a healthy St. Albert through active play!
ParticipACTION Community Better Challenge
Download the ParticipACTION app and track your active minutes from May 31-June 16. The community who accumulates the most active minutes will be awarded $150,000 to support local physical activity and sport participation initiatives!
Alberta Recreation and Park Association (ARPA) Social Media Contest
The ARPA is giving away $650 in prizes throughout the month of June to anyone who posts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook with photos tagged #ExploreJRPM. Ensure your social media account is public so the ARPA can see it and it doesn’t get missed.
kick-off event - drop-in Family Groov'in
Help us kick off JRPM & the ParticipACTION Communty Better Challenge at this special drop-in family class! Twirl, leap, and sashay your way to a healthier body and happier mind in this energetic class.
Friday, May 31 from 5:15-6:15 p.m. at Servus Credit Union Place in gym court 3.
summer solstice yoga event
Join Katherine for an outdoor lunchtime practice to salute the sunshine and the blue prairie sky! Admission to this drop-in event is free with a donation to the St. Albert Food Bank.
Friday, June 21 from 12:05-12:50 p.m. at Servus Credit Union Place-grass field by the north parking lot
In the Community
- Workout in nature at one of our three outdoor fitness equipment stations at Lions Park, Lafleur Park, and Leveque Park.
- Play fetch with your dog at Lacombe Lake Dog-Friendly Park.
- Enjoy a family picnic at Kingswood Park.
- Read a book, meditate, cloudgaze, listen to a podcast or write a poem in one of our beautiful parks along the Red Willow Park Trail System.
- Go wildlife watching and immerse yourself in nature at Riverlot 56.
- Explore a unique wetland ecosystem at the John E. Poole Interpretive Wetland at Big Lake.
- Go on a family biking adventure. Start from Big Lake and follow the trail all the way to Kingswood Park. Keep your eye out for wildlife!
- Play baseball at Mission Park.
- Learn the history of St. Albert on the Founders' Walk.
- Play with your dog at Dodger Dog-Friendly Park.
- Get a stellar workout running the hills at Mission Hill.
- Play lifesize chess outside of St. Albert Place.
- Enjoy a BBQ or picnic with family and friends at Lions Park.
- Soak in the sun and keep cool with outdoor water fun at Woodlands Water Play Park presented by RE/MAX or Grosvenor Outdoor Pool.
- Take your kayak for a glide along the Sturgeon River and into Big Lake. A Boat dock is located at Rotary Park.
- Play soccer on one of our many outdoor soccer fields.
- Explore the historical forest in the Grey Nuns White Spruce Park.
- Carve the popular graffitied bowls at the Skateboard Park!
Servus Credit Union Place
- Try out a new class like yoga, pilates, kettlebells or spin. You’ll be surprised at what you enjoy!
- Splash and dive at the Landrex Water Play Centre.
- Beat the heat with basketball inside Servus Credit Union Place.
- Go for a cool run on the Christenson Developments Ltd. Indoor Track
- Work on your cardio or strength training in the Tailor Made Insurance Fitness & Wellness Centre.
Fountain Park Recreation Centre
- Get yourself or your kids refreshed on water safety and swimming skills with lessons.
- Play outdoor tennis.
- Take your tot to Preschool Plunge.
- Play squash, racquet ball or walleyball in the multipurpose court.
- Swim laps in the competition pool.