Summer Activities Guide 2017
Embrace the sizzling fun of summer this season!
Are you spending some time in St. Albert this summer? We have an abundance of fun and exciting activities and programs for you to take part in. Get out in the great outdoors, or visit one of our popular recreational facilities!
Make your summer in the city the best one yet! Whether you want to cruise on your bike along the Red Willow Trails, do a front tuck off the diving board at Grosvenor Pool, or canoe along the Sturgeon River, we have something for every age and ability.
In the Community
- The Cruisin Clubhouse program is running for 8 weeks from July 3-August 25, 2017. This free drop-in program for kids travels all over St. Albert to different parks and playgrounds. Click here for schedule.
July 1, 2017 is Canada's 150th Birthday! We're celebrating in style with an exciting day event at Riel and Rotary Park followed by a night concert at St. Albert Place, and finally a sparkling fireworks show at Mission Park. Learn more.
- Our Red Willow Park Trails offer a serene and tranquil environment for you to enjoy your run, walk, bike ride, or skateboard adventure. Learn more.
- Glide along the Sturgeon River on your canoe or kayak and spot the wildlife that thrives in our beautiful river valley. Try out our new boat launch located right behind the BLESS Platform at Rotary Park. Learn more.
- Take your furry friend to one of our great dog-friendly parks: Lacombe Lake Dog Park or Dodger Dog Park. We also have 27 designated off-leash sites for your pooch to explore. Learn more.
- Break a sweat in nature with our outdoor fitness equipment. We just installed two new sites last year in the neighbourhood of Lacombe Park! Watch the video tutorials and learn how you can get in shape with our equipment. Learn more.
- Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and let nature sweep you off your feet at Big Lake! This is the best spot for wildlife viewing and you can also experience a unique wetland ecosystem along the John E. Poole Interpretive Boardwalk. Learn more.
- Enjoy an outdoor BBQ at Lions Park! There is a large picnic shelter available for rent, or you can pop by with the family and grab any available picnic table and fire pit. the Lion's Park Playground is nearby, so the kids can burn off some energy. Learn more.
- We have an abundance of community playgrounds where kids can enjoy some unstructured play time. Find the nearest one to you. Learn more.
- Carve the popular graffitied bowls at the Skateboard Park! Don't skate? Bring your scooter or bike and get some serious air! Learn more.
Woodlands Water Play Park Presented by RE/MAX
This medieval-themed spray park is popular amongst young and old! It features a snack shack, dry playground, plenty of grassy areas to relax on, a volleyball court and a splash area with over 20 spray features! Did we mention its FREE admission? The park is open from 9:45 a.m. to 8:15 p.m. and water features are on from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (weather permitting). Learn more.
Grosvenor Outdoor Pool
This is the hottest spot in the city to cool off from the heat and enjoy a poolside picnic with family. Soak up the sun on the pool deck or go for a refreshing splash off the diving board. Servus Place Annual members always get in free. Learn more.
50th Anniversary Celebration
This year is extra special as it's Grosvenor’s 50th summer of providing residents with outdoor pool fun! The pool was built in 1967 as part of the Canadian Centennial Celebration and It was the very first aquatics facility in St. Albert! Celebrate this milestone with us on Tuesday, August 8 from 1-9 pm. Event details.
Fountain Park Recreation Centre
Looking to get away from the heat, but still want to have fun in the water? Fountain Park is offering fantastic summer swim programs this year. Whether you are a youngster just learning how to do your first stroke, or a senior looking to take part in a low impact fitness class, you can find it here! See below for more information:
- Find out when you can lane swim, join a drop-in fitness class, or relax during public swim: Aquatic Schedules
- Register yourself, or your child in a fun swim program this season: Program Guide
Annual Spruce Up Closure Dates
- August 19 - October 1, 2017: Competition pool and hot tub closed
- August 26-September 10, 2017: Entire facility closed
Front Desk Hours During Annual Spruce Up:
Monday-Friday: 8 am - 6 pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9 am – 5 pm
Closed Monday, September 4 for Labour Day
For more information on what is being done during the Spruce Up, click here.
Servus Credit Union Place
This facility has it all! Fitness and wellness centre, gymnasiums, Landrex Water Play Centre, indoor track, artificial turf, drop-in fitness classes, ice rinks and more! If you are wanting to escape the heat and cool off, visit this popular facility today. See below for more information:
- Participate in drop-in recreation activities in the courts, field houses and ice rinks. Click here for schedule.
Can't commit to a schedule? Participate in a drop-in fitness class and meet new people. Click here for schedule.
Enrol your child in a summer camp such as Cranky's Bike, Splash & Dash or Master Chefs. Call 780-418-6088 to register or click here.
Enrol in a fitness program to feel your best yet. We have yoga, Kinesis, TRX, workshops, strength training, personal training and more. Click here to register.
June 20, 2017 Summer Solstice Event: Celebrate the first day of summer with some outdoor yoga. Learn more.
On July 19, 2017 you can view the fall program guides online. Learn more.
August 26, 2017 from 11:00 am -12:00 pm is Come Try Ringette! Experience the fun sport of Ringette at this free event. Learn more.
Enjoy the amenities at Servus Place all year long with an annual membership! A membership also gives you access to Fountain Park Recreation Centre, Grosvenor Pool and Akinsdale and Kinex Arenas, as well as many other benefits. Learn more.
Annual Spruce Up Closure Dates
- June 25-26, 2017 the Fitness and Wellness Centre will be closed for its Annual Spruce Up.
- June 27, 2017 The Christenson Track will be closed for its Annual Spruce Up.
For more information on the Spruce Ups, click here.
All Access Summer Pass
Can't decide what activities to do this summer, why not do them all! Enjoy a summer of unlimited fun with the purchase of an All Access Summer Pass! This pass gives you full access to Servus Place, Fountain Park and Grosvenor Outdoor Pool. Passes are valid until September 18, 2017 and can be purchased at Servus Place or Fountain Park. Learn more.
Last edited: September 15, 2017