Winter Activity Guide 2018
Winter just got a lot more fun!
Does the snow and cold have you hiding inside? Why not embrace the frosty weather and enjoy everything it has to offer! The City of St. Albert has excellent indoor and outdoor activity options, so you can break free from your winter hibernation!
Fountain Park recreation centre
Soak in some humidity and warm up from the chill with fun activities and programs at Fountain Park Pool! See some drop-in ideas below:
- Build on your cardio endurance and muscle strength in a low-impact aqua-fitness drop-in class. Click here to see the schedule.
- All ages can have fun and explore the pool during Public Swimming. Enjoy a ride down the waterslide, jumps off the diving board, and much more! Click here to see the schedule.
- Enjoy a quieter swim time with the family and unwind from the busy work week with Family Swim. Click here to see the schedule.
- Introduce your baby to the water with unstructured play time in the small pool, whirlpool, and slide during Preschool Plunge! Click here to see the schedule.
- Teens can enjoy the entire pool with friends during Teen Swim! Available Fridays from 9:00 - 10:00 pm.
- Adults 18 years and older can enjoy simple recreational swimming, or a relaxing session in the steam room and sauna room during Adult Swim. Available Monday-Thursday from 9:00 - 10:00 pm.
- Lane swimming is available daily for patrons wanting to practice on their stroke, or enjoy a low-impact aerobic workout. Click here to see the schedule.
To see the schedule changes, click here.
Servus Credit Union Place
Cozy up inside Servus Place where you can focus on your health and fitness. There are lots of great drop-in and programmed activities where you can get in the best shape of your life and meet new friends! See ideas below:
- Participate in drop-in recreation activities in the courts, field houses, and ice rinks. Click here for schedule.
- Get your body moving and warmed up in a drop-in fitness class! Explore spin, Zumba, yoga, Barre, weightlifting, aqua classes, stroller bootcamp, and much more! Click here for schedule.
- Need to keep the kids entertained over Teachers' Convention? Drop them off for two days of challenging and engaging activities in Teachers Convention Challengers and Club Active. Click here to register or call 780-418-6088.
- It's not too early to be thinking about Spring Break! We have excellent camps running from March 26-29, so your child can keep busy and make new friends. Click here to register or call 780-418-6088.
- Have a New Year's Resolution to be more active or join a fitness program? Explore our program guide and find a variety of classes, including: bootcamps, kinesis, TRX, yoga, running, and more! Click here to register or call 780-418-6088.
- This one is for the moms! Enjoy safe and gentle exercise movements, and meet other moms in one of our postnatal and prenatal programs. Click here to register or call 780-418-6088.
- Public swimming is available during all pool hours at the Landrex Water Play Centre! Explore all the amenities, including: waterslide, leisure pool, hot tub, steam room, lazy river, and more! Click here to see hours.
- On January 17, February 21 and March 21, Seniors are invited to join in on Swiss Chalet Seniors' Day from 10:30 am - 12:00 pm.
New Year, New Fitness Goals!
Don't have a membership, but thinking of joining? A membership to Servus Place lets you enjoy all the amenities at the facility, and gives you access to Fountain Park Recreation Centre, Grosvenor Outdoor Pool, and Akinsdale and Kinex Arenas, as well as many other benefits! Get 12 months of membership for only the price of 10. Click here to learn more.
In the Community
Bundle up with the family and brave the cold to enjoy a winter activity in our beautiful parks and trails! See some great ideas below:
- Practice your jumps and glides on one of our outdoor rinks. Click here for rink locations and to see what ones are open.
- Race down Mission Hill on your sled or toboggan.
- Go for a snowshoeing adventure in Riverlot 56 and get up close with nature. Click here for more info.
- Take a stroll along the scenic Red Willow Trail System. The trail system is cleared throughout the winter for residents to enjoy. Click here to see the trail map.
- Once the snow starts to pile up, cross-country ski trails will be open in Kingswood Park. Visit stalbertnordic.com to learn more about the groomed trails, or click here to see the 2017-2018 trail map.
- Take Fido on a wintery adventure to one of the City's off-leash dog parks: Dodger Dog-Friendly Park and Lacombe Lake Dog-Friendly Park! Please remember to pick up after your pet. Click here to learn more.
- Free Indoor skating thanks to the Jenkins Family Tim Hortons will be available at Kinex Arena for the Sweetheart Skate on Sunday, February 11 from 1:45-3:15 pm and the St. Paddy's Day Skate on Sunday, March 18 from 1:45-3:15 pm. These skates include complementary Timbits and hot chocolate!
- Additional free skating times are offered until March 29, 2018 and include: Tim Hortons Public Skating: Offered Tuesdays/Thursdays from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m., and Sundays from 1:45 - 3:15 p.m. at Kinex Arena; and Parent and Tot Skate: Offered Tuesdays/Thursdays from 9 - 10 a.m. at Akinsdale Arena, and Wednesdays from 9 - 9:45 a.m. at Kinex Arena.
Watch the 8th Annual Canadian Progress Club Pond Hockey Tournament on Saturday, February 3 from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm at Lacombe Lake Park. Please note, the parking lot will be closed for the event and Park and Ride will be available. Click here to learn more.
Enjoy a fun-filled day with family at the Fire and Ice Festival on Monday, February 19 at Lacombe Lake Park. Please note, the parking lot will be closed for the event and Park and Ride will be available. Click here to learn more.
- Want to know when snow removal will be in your area? Click here.
Please remember to stay off of any ponds, lakes, or rivers in and around St. Albert. These surfaces are not safe for walking or skating on. Special consideration should be taken around storm water ponds. These water bodies are designed to control storm water levels, so ice thickness can change suddenly. Click here for more information on ice safety.
Wishing everyone a wonderful winter season!
Last edited: January 19, 2018