June is Recreation and Parks Month!
Celebrate June is Recreation and Parks Month (JRPM) by getting active and playing outdoors!
St. Albert has an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities and throughout June, residents are encouraged to try new activities, and explore the parks and trails. Recreation promotes mental, physical, and social health benefits for people of all ages, and is even more important for overall health during this pandemic.
Please remember to follow all provincial public health measures when participating in any activity.
2021 JRPM CommUNITY Challenge
This year we are excited to join in on the Alberta Recreation and Parks Association (ARPA) CommUNITY challenge! The recreation and parks sector in Alberta, especially at the community level, has been deeply affected over the past 15 months.
Outdoor spaces and places have been highlighted for the important role they play in providing venues for physical and mental health, respite, and also for being able to continue our social connections. This June, you're encouraged to visit #CommUNITY parks, recreation centres, and open spaces to celebrate Recreation & Parks Month.
This year's challenge consists of FOUR themed weeks, each with a different daily activity for you to complete:
- June 1 – 7: Get Active
- June 8 – 14: Get Outside
- June 15 – 21: Food is Fun
- June 22 – 30: Celebrate Community
Social Media contests
Join the contests as an individual or with your family, your office, or a group of friends!
- From June 1-21: Post a photo of yourself (or one of your group members) completing the daily activity ON the day of the activity with the hashtag #JRPMchallenge. Find the daily activity from the list below. Prizes include gift cards valued at $250, $100, and $50. See full contest rules
- From June 22-30: Keep an eye out on the ARPA's Facebook page for a post indicating a "Bonus Day" activity. Once you see that, post a photo of yourself (or one of your group members) completing the bonus day activity ON the day of the activity with the hashtag #JRPMbonusdays. All prizes include a $15 gift card and a JRPM sticker! See full contest rules
This weeks theme:
Check out this week's daily activity ideas:
June 22 - Visit With a Friend
- Have a virtual or backyard hangout with a friend or your family!
June 23 - Watch a Video on ARPA's Indigenous Oral Knowledge Hub
- Find some great resources and listen to incredible stories from our Elders and partners by visiting our Oral Knowledge Hub!
June 24 - Sign the JRPM Proclamation
- Visit our proclamation page to see how you can sign the "June is Recreation and Parks Month" Proclamation!
June 25 - 27 - It's the Weekend!: Find a Local Event, Festival or Activity to Attend
- Find a local event happening near you that you can participate in (online events count!). Having trouble finding something? Take a look at our Events Map to see what's going on this weekend!
June 28 - Complete the Indigenous HERS eModule
Today we are featuring this free eModule from Communities ChooseWell which provides an introductory look into Indigenous Traditional Food Systems within Alberta. Complete the module here and be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to Module 9.
June 29 - Share a photo of your favourite spot in your community
With all the outdoor exploring we did this summer there's bound to be a few outdoor spots you found. Share a photo of either your old or new favourite outdoor spot in your community!
ParticipACTION Community Better Challenge
Help St. Albert get crowned as Canada's most active community!
From June 1-30, you can also join in on the ParticipACTION Community Better Challenge as an individual or with your organization. To enter, simply record your active minutes (including any you complete doing the ARPA CommUNITY Challenge) on participaction.com or through the free ParticipACTION app available on the Apple App Store or Google Play.
The minutes you enter will contribute to the overall active minutes of the City you live in. The location with the most minutes will be crowned Canada’s most active community and will receive $100,000 to support local physical activity initiatives. Individuals can also receive other prizes throughout the month.
Last edited: June 22, 2021